Frequently Asked Questions for WLAOTC Classes (Obedience, Rally, Conformation, Nose Work)
- No. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have not heard from anyone! This can occur if you did not receive a confirmation email when you registered. Be sure you check your spam for the email. The various companies that support email sometimes reject email from our servers. That email also goes to the registrar so they know you have requested a class. If you didn't get it, they didn't either.
I tried to use the PayPal link on the home page to pay for my Puppy or Novice class. There is no link for it. How do I pay?
- The link for every class is in the registration process. After you enter your information and click continue at the bottom, it takes you to a page with final registration instructions. Because Puppy and Novice are beginning classes, there is no link in our "continuing students PayPal" page. You may email your registrar who will send you the link..
- Click the back arrow in your browser. The link above the FAQ link takes you to a page where you may download or print copies of the class instructions that you need.
The class that I am interested in is marked "FULL" on the website, can I still register for this class?
- No. Once a class is marked Full it is closed
for registration. Please check for classes that are not marked full
and have starting dates. There is no formal waiting list for our
The class I am interested in registering for has a start date of TBD, can I pre-register for the next upcoming session?
- No. Please keep checking the website until a
start date is posted.
What is the size limit for group classes?
- Puppy (9 students), All other Obedience, Rally and Conformation classes (12 students). Nose Work (6 students)
I am interested in signing up for a Obedience, Rally, Conformation or Nose Work class with my dog. What classes do you offer and what is the cost?
I took a puppy or novice obedience class not from WLAOTC, can I enroll in in a WLAOTC class?
- You may enroll in a WLAOTC class for the next level
your dog is ready for. Please check the website for class requirements
and include what previous classes you have taken when registering.
i.e. If you previously took a puppy class, you may sign up for a Novice
Obedience class. If you have taken a Novice Obedience class you may
sign up for a Intermediate Novice Class.
If you have questions about where to enroll your dog, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please register for the class. If you are a new student to WLAOTC,, the registrar will contact you about speaking with the trainer to get approval. They may ask for information about what you have done with your dog. When you answer the email will be forwarded to the trainer who will determine if you are ready for that class.
- If you are a student currently in classes, move ups to higher levels are done when the trainer approves them. They notify the obedience coordinator and/or the registrar who passes your information on the the next registrar. You may not move up without this approval. Our advanced classes are designed to teach a series of behaviors that are needed to continue. Our Open/Utility class is intended for dogs who already have the skill set to compete at those levels.
I have two puppies/dogs, can I take a class with both of them?
- You must have a handler for each dog enrolled in class. If
you handle one puppy/dog, you must have a different person handle the second
It is raining currently, or there is a chance of rain tonight. Will classes be held?
- If there is a question as to whether classes will be
cancelled due to weather please do not send an email or leave a message.
Please call and listen to the message on the club phone at (310) 851-6350.
If classes are cancelled the message will be changed to reflect the status
of classes for that day or night. For night classes please call after
3 pm and for Sunday morning classes please call after 7 am to check for
a rain update. If the phone line is out of order, or if it is a last minute cancellation (after the check time) we will be calling (or emailing if there is time). The number we will use is the one you gave us when you registered. Be sure it takes messages!.
I recently rescued/adopted my dog and it is aggressive to other dogs. Would a group class be right for me?
- Dogs with behavioral problems such as aggression, fearfulness
or extreme shyness should not be enrolled in these group classes. Such
dogs and their owner/handler should seek private instruction with an animal behaviorist.
My dog is not aggressive, but needs manners. Is a Novice Obedience class right for me?
- Certain "adolescent" behaviors can be corrected in
a group class situation. If you are uncertain about your dog's behavior
please contact us at email@example.com outlining the behavior problem
you are experiencing and we will help you determine if your dog should
be enrolled in our classes or not. We do reserve the right to dismiss
unsuitable dogs from our group classes. However, some of our trainers
do provide private instruction on their own time. You may send an
email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will forward your information to one
of our trainers. There is no guarantee that they will be available
for lessons and we cannot provide any information on cost.
Can I make-up a missed class?
- No make-ups are allowed in any of our classes except Puppy. There will be no refund of class fees once the class has started. In Puppy, there are special circumstances for up to two classes that may be used as a credit for enrolling in Novice. Do speak with the trainer about the missed (or going to be missed class). Often they can give you exercises to practice with your dog for what was missed.
I've recently adopted/rescued a young or adult dog. He is very smart and a quick learner. He is house-broken and knows sit, stay, down, etc. What class should I take?
- Even if your dog already knows basic commands, a Novice
Obedience class would be a good choice to start your training with. Group
classes offer a different environment for learning for your dog. Basic
obedience skills for handler and dogs are taught and would be beneficial in helping
to build a lasting relationship with your dog. These classes are outside in an active environment with lots of distractions. Novice offers the chance for you to be sure your dog understands those commands no matter what is happening around the dog. Socialization skills are also much improved from this type of class..
I just got a puppy, he/she is 8 weeks old, can I take a puppy class?
- Your puppy needs to be at least 3 months old and have
most of its shots in order to sign up for a puppy class. This is for
the safety and health of your puppy and other students in the class. At 3 months the puppy also begins to have ability to focus on learning for longer periods of time. Learning is more assured at this point..
Do you offer private training as I am not available for the class times you have listed on your website and/or I do not think my dog would be right for a group class?
- We do not offer private training through our club.
However, some of our trainers do provide private instruction on their own
time. You may send an email to email@example.com and we will forward
your information to one of our trainers. There is no guarantee that
they will be available for lessons and we cannot provide any information
I've submitted my information on-line to register for a class, but I haven't filled out the waivers, paid by PayPal or check. Am I guaranteed to have a spot in the class?
- No. The on-line information you submit just informs
the class registrar that you are interested in signing up for that class.
Your spot will be held tentatively until the waivers are entered online and payment is received. However, if the class fills quickly and you do not
commpleted these steps, your space will be given to the student whose payment and waiver are received/completed first.
I've done the waivers and used a check to pay, but the class does not start until a couple of months. When will my check be cashed?
- Sometimes our classes fill in advance of the class
start date. Checks are deposited as soon as the class is begins. We will shred your check if you decide to drop out before it begins.
I've used PayPal to send in the class fee, but I find I am unable to attend the class. How do I get a refund?
- If you have encountered issues with being able to take a class before it starts, notify the registrar. We can't shred a check for you, but we do refund the PayPal transaction in full.
I've mailed in my check for a class but have not received a confirmation. Am I enrolled in the class?
- Typically, the registrar for the class will send a
confirmation email that your payment has been received and your waivers are completed so you are enrolled
in class. If you are enrolling several months ahead, be aware that the registrar works the classes in next date first order. It may be a month or more before you hear. Please remember that our registrars are volunteers, many with full time jobs so they are working on this as quickly as possible. Conformation of being in a class will be mailed sometime during the week before it starts.
do not allow make-ups or pro-rated fees for any of our classes. The
only exception is for Puppy And Manners Class. The rules for this class
are included in the registration packet for the class. There will be
no refund of the class fee once the class has started..